CASTINE, Maine – A number of Maine Maritime Academy student-athletes were honored at last month's Regimental Awards, held on Monday, March 26.
The following student-athletes received awards that were announced at the banquet:
Receiving plaques for their work as members of the Regimental Wedge, serving as Ship Rates, were:
• Cadet Master Austin Gamache (Fort Myers, Fla. - Men's Cross Country)
• Cadet Chief Engineer B - Caleb Reed (Castine, Maine - Men's Cross Country)
Receiving plaques for their work as members of the Regimental Wedge, serving as Company Commanders, were:
• Alpha Company Commander – Arik Akerberg (Milton, N.H. - Men's Cross Country)
• Bravo Company Commander – Cody O'Brien (Wells, Maine - Football)
• Band Company Commander – Truman Slocum (Phippsburg, Maine - Men's Cross Country)
Student-Athletes receiving plaques for their work as members of the Regimental Wedge, serving as Regimental Officers, were:
• Regimental Commander – Justin Kretzmer (Glastonbury, Conn. - Men's Lacrosse)
• Executive Officer – John Brigante (Woodbine, Md. - Men's Cross Country)
• Regimental Master as Arms – Kylie Bradley (Westborough, Maine - Women’s Soccer)
• Regimental Business Officer – Seth Tachney (Carthage, Maine - Men's Cross Country)
• Regimental Morale Officer – Charlette Bradley (Slidell, La. - Women's Cross Country)
• Regimental Senior Stryker – Chase Whittemore (Skowhegan, Maine - Golf)
• Regimental Technology Officer - Thomas White (China, Maine - Men's Cross Country)
Seacoast Alumni Chapter presented two awards: the Captain Thomas Smith Award was presented to Cadet Master Midshipman 2/C Makayla Lewis (Purcellville, Va. - Women's Soccer). The Paul Mercer Scholarship was presented to Cadet Chief Engineers Midshipman 2/C Erich Klopfer (Palm Harbor, Fla. - Golf).
Leadership awards were also presented to the following student-athletes:
Regimental Wedge Scholarship: The 2017 scholarship was awarded to Midshipman Nathan Granholm (Brunswick, Maine - Men's Lacrosse).
The Rear Admiral Warren C. Hamm Jr. Leadership Award: Contributed by Rear Admiral Warren C. Hamm Jr. Given to a 3/C Midshipman in good academic standing who exemplifies outstanding traits of leadership, accountability and loyalty in his or her demeanor and bearing. This year’s leadership award was given to Midshipman 3/C Chance Whittemore (Skowhegan, Maine - Golf).
The Lester R. Paton Navy Leadership Sword: Contributed by the Paton Family. Given in memory of Mr. Lester R. Paton by his son, Mr. Richard R. Paton. It is often asked, when at the entry level of an organization with no one reporting to you and very little assigned responsibilities, how does one practice leadership? The answer is to do your absolute best to further the goals and mission of that organization in everything you do. The Lester R. Paton Navy Leadership Sword is given to the 2/C Midshipman who best represents the answer to this question. The Navy Leadership Sword was given to Midshipman 2/C Makayla Lewis, (Purcellville, Va. - Women's Soccer).
Click HERE to view more photos from the event.